We need strong self-reliant communities to be ready for anything. We need to protect our environment, while creating jobs in sustainable resource industries.
We need stronger communities
The BC Green plan for community resilience:
We will create a Food Secure B.C. strategy to make B.C. agriculture more climate-resilient, improve local food security and support local agricultural producers.
- Build capacity in communities so they can respond safely and effectively to extreme weather and natural disasters - and so they can recover quickly when the threat has passed
- Protect communities from wildfires and flooding through landscape level, ecologically-centred, forest management and fuel treatment projects.
- Increase the resilience of regional ecosystems by restoring habitats and protecting biodiversity.
Reform forestry management in BC so that it serves the long-term needs of local communities and supports a truly sustainable industry, where community and ecosystem values are the primary focus of management.
- Take back control of our forests from major corporations, ensuring forestry is meeting the needs of local communities.
- Manage our forests holistically, for all the values they hold.
- Protect our remaining high value old growth forests forever.
- Generate more jobs and revenue from what we harvest.
We must recognize that access to clean water is a human right and ensure B.C. communities have long-term, reliable, and equitable access to clean water.