- No point in voting.
- Government is difficult to access, slow moving, no real change
- Politics is a joke:
- Full of old white men that don’t listen
- Dominated by a different generation — youth don’t feel included or like their voices are heard and therefore don’t feel connected
- Government is made up of established elites
- For older, more experienced people
- Apathy, helplessness, disconnect and disenfranchisement:
- My vote makes no difference
- Politicians focused on election cycle, not long term issues facing youth.
- Most candidates are older. Issues do not affect them in the same way that younger people will be impacted
- Different priorities
- Politics is too competitive — “ I shouldn’t get involved.”
- Unique challenges for youth in rural BC to get involved.
- Ex. Lack of gathering places, physical distance, lack of transit, alienation from urban centre.
- Youth don’t understand politics
Was this helpful?