Springing from our core principles, our political policy defines who we are and how we are different from other parties. It is the application of the values and principles held collectively by BC Greens to specific subject areas. Political policy informs our party’s platform as well as our response in the forms of initiatives, programs and positions including legislative proposals. It is developed and approved by members of the party at its annual general meetings.
Political policy is different from governance and operational policy, which describes how the party itself operates – they are "internal-facing". Governance and operational policy is generally developed by Provincial Council and party staff, respectively.
The development of our political policy (hereafter referred to simply as "policy") is one of the most important and rewarding ways that members can contribute to the party. Through conversations with neighbours, seeking out expert advice, and finally with ratifying the policies any individual member or riding association has come forward with, this process is to ensure policies are developed in a consistent, collaborative manner.
BC Green Party policies are developed in a collaborative fashion with support from the policy development team, led by the Policy Chair. The Policy Chair and Committee will help members research and review their ideas to ensure they are:
- Based on the latest evidence and scientific research; and
- Consistent with the party's principles, policy direction and current member-approved policy document.
Please see our policy development document for details on this process.
Deadline for policy proposals for the 2017 AGM is July 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
How to put forward new policy
Every member in good standing can bring forward ideas for policy to the Policy Chair and Policy Committee. Please complete the following steps to propose new policy for the party:
- Review the BC Green Party's policy development document for a full explanation of the party's policy development philosophy, guidelines and procedures.
- Review the party's six core principles and current member-approved policy document.
- Submit your policy proposal to email@example.com by July 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
Please do not hesitate to contact the policy team with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.