In the last election, the BC NDP promised to deliver seven school projects — five of them for seismic upgrades. They have now postponed these projects indefinitely due to “lack of funding.”
In the Vancouver School District alone, more than 20,000 students go to school in buildings that have been deemed seismically unsafe.
The postponed projects include:
- Seismic upgrades at False Creek Elementary
- Seismic upgrades at Killarney Secondary
- Seismic upgrades at David Thompson Secondary
- Seismic upgrades at Pitt Meadows Secondary School
- Seismic upgrades at Shoreline Middle School
- A new elementary school in Fernie
- A new secondary school in Mission
If the government can pay for seismic upgrades at the Royal BC Museum, why can’t they prioritize similar upgrades in 50 schools that have been deemed just as seismically unsafe, or worse?
Please help Sonia Furstenau show the government that the safety of our students and the betterment of our educational system is still a priority for British Columbians.
Add your name to tell the NDP that safe schools are still a priority for you.