Help us reach our $1 million fundraising goal for 2021. Donate $5 today!
Save our last old-growth forests in BC
This petition was submitted by leader Sonia Furstenau to the BC legislature on June 17, 2021. You can still add your name to support further action to protect BC's old-growth forests.
The BC NDP government made a commitment to protect BC's remaining old-growth forests by implementing the recommendations made by the Old Growth Strategic Review Panel. It's been more than a year and they've stood by and allowed old-growth logging to continue despite their promise.
Premier John Horgan needs to decide if he wants his legacy to be the destruction of some of BC’s last ancient forests, or if he's going to step up and show that his government's commitments mean something.
Stand with us now to save BC's old-growth.
Before it's too late.
Read the full text here
It's time for the BC NDP to halt old-growth logging and create the space for solutions:
- Implement immediate interim protections in all remaining high-risk old-growth ecosystems
- Work in partnership with First Nations to create alternative economic opportunities
Provide conservation financing and funding for Indigenous-led protected areas in this year’s budget
- Take back tenures (timber harvesting rights) from forestry companies with old-growth tenures
- Direct BC's own logging agency, BC Timber Sales, to stop selling off old-growth forests for logging
- Stop using misleading numbers and terms for how much old-growth is protected and come clean with the public about the state of our ancient forests
- Release a public implementation and work plan for when government will meet each of the Old-Growth Strategic Review Panel's recommendations