Job Type: Full-time contract.
Competition closing date: This position will remain open until filled.
Contract End Date: May 15, 2017.
Location: Victoria, BC
The BC Green Party is seeking an energetic, motivated communications professional who is passionate about supporting the development of highly effective media strategies. The press secretary will work with our dedicated campaign team to augment and advance the communications strategy and achieve unprecedented earned media coverage for the party in the lead-up to and during the 2017 Provincial Election.
The successful candidate will be joining a dynamic and hard-working team that is dedicated to bringing positive change to British Columbia. This person will be strategic, anticipatory, responsive and a good team player who is driven and takes initiative. The press secretary will be prepared to work flexible hours in a highly collaborative setting, helping to take the party’s communications to the next level.
Under the direction of the Provincial Communications Director, the Press Secretary will:
- Act as the formal spokesperson and media liaison for the BC Green Party;
- Develop and implement earned media strategies to maximize the BC Green Party’s coverage in the provincial election;
- Stay up to date on, and evaluate, provincial issues, current events and media reports for their impact on the campaign;
- Provide strategic planning and communications advice to the party leader, candidates and the provincial campaign team;
- Manage media inquiries for the provincial campaign, including inquires for the party leader, candidates and spokespeople;
- Advise and brief the party leader, candidates and the provincial campaign team on relevant media relations issues;
- Provide media training to candidates and spokespeople;
- Produce communications products for earned and digital media;
- Support digital media campaigns;
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with the media.
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a related field or commensurate work experience;
- Demonstrated ability to advance a strategic narrative across multiple media;
- Thorough understanding of campaign communications strategy and operations;
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Understanding of print, broadcast and digital media;
- Thorough knowledge of the BC political landscape, including key issues, people and parties;
- Knowledge of the BC Green Party’s values and brand;
- Excellent people skills, attention to detail and work ethic;
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple stories in time-sensitive situations;
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and prepared do what it takes to get the job done;
- Ability to exercise discretion, ethics and independent judgment in representing the BC Green Party;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Proficiency using web applications.
- A working laptop and smartphone.
- Experience with NationBuilder or other website platforms is an asset.
Pay is commensurate with experience; flexible work schedule required. The position is in Victoria, BC.
To request an interview, or for more information, please submit a cover letter and resume to the Provincial Campaign Director, Taylor Hartrick, email@example.com.