Job type: Full-time
Competition closing date: Open until filled
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: Victoria, BC
The BC Green Party is seeking a Communications Coordinator to join a dynamic and hard-working team that is dedicated to bringing positive change to British Columbia. At the heart of its mission, the BC Green Party seeks to inspire British Columbians with a hopeful, sustainable vision that all of us can build together through political advocacy, legislation and elections. Communications professionals are central to shaping those efforts from concept to implementation and review. This job posting is an exciting opportunity to apply your passion for building a sustainable province with your professional skills in issues coordination, copywriting, social media management and earned media coordination.
The successful applicant will be passionate about communications, attentive to detail, a skilled professional and a team player. They will have a vision for telling compelling stories across various media, campaigns and topics. The Communications Coordinator will be prepared to work flexible hours in a highly collaborative and demanding setting.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for two major areas: (1) issues support and copywriting and (2) social media management.
Issues support and copywriting:
- Contribute to the development of communications goals, key messages and tactics for issue campaigns and elections;
- Create and update issue briefs for staff and MLAs;
- Manage filing and distribution of issue briefs and related communications materials;
- Conduct research on issue-areas and effective communications tactics;
- Draft copy for diverse communications materials, including internal briefings, supporter and voter communications, online engagement, earned media releases and backgrounders, and advertizing.
Social media (organic and paid):
- Work with the communications team to develop and update the party’s plan for social media;
- Draft engaging and strategic social media content, primarily for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube;
- Collaborate with the Visual Communications Designer in the development of outstanding visual content to pair with text;
- Manage one-on-one engagement with social media users with the support of a volunteer team;
- Evaluate social media analytics and make recommendations to improve social media engagement;
- Monitor trends, information and breaking news.
- Support earned media relations by drafting statements and taking media calls;
- Proofread internal party documents and materials developed by other party departments;
- Other responsibilities as required.
- 3-5 years’ professional experience in communications or public relations, including copywriting and social media management;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills;
- Strong knowledge of the BC Green Party’s values, brand and history;
- Keen interest in BC politics and current affairs;
- Understanding of organizational branding and storytelling;
- Demonstrated ability to advance a strategic narrative and key messages for various media and audiences;
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy;
- Extremely well organized;
- Proficiency in social media management and digital advertizing platforms;
- Experience using web applications such as G Suite and content management systems;
- Excellent people skills and a strong work ethic;
- Ability to:
- Work under pressure, managing multiple projects in time-sensitive situations;
- Adapt to changing circumstances and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done;
- Exercise discretion, ethics and independent judgment in representing the BC Green Party;
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience on issue-based or political campaigns crafting engaging communications;
- Experience with grassroots organizing and engagement theory (especially as taught by Marshall Ganz);
- Experience working in an educational, political, non-profit or advocacy organization;
- Experience with NationBuilder;
- Degree or certificate in communications or public relations.
The successful completion of a Criminal Record Check is required. Pay is commensurate with experience and includes a benefits package after a three-month probationary period.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to the Executive Director Laura Lavin at [email protected].