Position title: Press Secretary
Reports to: Chief of Staff
The role of the Press Secretary is to facilitate effective relationships with media and other stakeholders on behalf of the BC Green Caucus and to help manage the professional communication of its policies and stances. A successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and has demonstrated the ability to build meaningful relationships with the media.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Act as the media liaison for the BC Green Caucus;
- Develop and implement media strategies;
- Ensure caucus and staff are up to date on provincial issues and emerging media through media scans;
- Manage media inquiries for the Caucus;
- Work with policy staff to advise and brief the MLAs on emerging issues;
- Produce communications products for earned and digital media;
- Support digital media campaigns;
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with the media.
Education, requirements, related experience
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the following:
- A degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a related field or equivalent work experience;
- Experience with professional communication with a political party, non-profit, media outlet or similar organization;
- Experience with media relations, comfortable speaking with the press, experience working with politicians, executives or other spokespeople;
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Understanding of print, broadcast and digital media;
- Thorough knowledge of the BC political landscape, including key issues, people and parties;
- Excellent people skills, attention to detail, work ethic and professionalism;
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple tasks in time-sensitive situations;
- Ability to exercise discretion, ethics and independent judgment in representing the BC Green Caucus;
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Proficiency using web applications;
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends when necessary;
Terms and conditions
This position is for a 6 month contract, with possibility of extension. The position is full time and based in Victoria.
Salary will be based upon experience.
Interested candidates should contact Evan Pivnick, Chief of Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your Linked In profile at your earliest convenience, and follow up within 48 hours with an email containing your resume and cover letter, using the subject line “Press Secretary Application”.
Rolling interviews will be conducted. Prospective candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as a successful candidate may be chosen prior to the official closure of the application process.
Please include a cover letter and resume. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.